So, by the time this post goes live I will already be living in Westmount but as of the time of writing I am still in my little corner of NDG. I am excited about moving and, let’s not be dramatic here, I’m moving ten minutes away but I always get emotional about things especially in my 26-week pregnant state. In total I’ve called NDG home for about 6 years and have learned to love the area. Here’s what I will miss most:
1. My friends & neighbours – especially our little friend across the street Leo (and his parents!), Steve at The Italian Pantry, and the friendly faces I encounter all the time including the ladies at the Provigo checkout, the folks at Melk and the butchers at Le Maitre Boucher. Everyone – I will be back!
2. Kefta Sandwiches at Akhavan and all the other exotic goodies they have
3. Walking to Girouard Park – where my son recently learned to climb the ‘rock wall’ and we spent so many hours
4. Benny Pool – I complained about you… until I went to the Westmount YMCA pool
5. Strolling Monkland and running into friends
6. The Italian Pantry – just around the corner and the provider of so many meals and ingredients
7. Cafe de Mercanti – amazing gelato on our doorstep. My fave is the greek yoghurt.
8. TA Pies – for the easy lunch meals and delicious desserts
9. Le Maitre Boucher – for the great meat and fish
10. Spice Station – where I know I can get any spice I want!
And of course, there are some things I won’t miss such as the traffic/construction issues, having no real backyard and the too-high rent meaning survival on Monkland for any business is often short and brutal.