It seems I’m into preserving approximately every other year. Last year, with a 5 month old, I preserved so many yummy fruits. Blueberries, plums, peaches, raspberries, strawberries…. the list goes on. This year I did… pretty much zippo. Except this apple butter. I sorta consulted some recipes, and then just decided to wing it. I used whatever apples I had on hand including a few mangy ones, cooked them down and then added sugar at the end to taste. It means that it can’t be canned as I think you need a certain sugar ratio for preservation purposes, but you can freeze it. My two pounds of apples yielded about 1 1/2 cups. Total effort – peeling, coring, cutting, adding sugar, pouring it into jars and freezing. Sooo simple – and so good! Oh, and you need a slow cooker.
Easiest Apple Butter Ever
Quantity of apples – whatever you have on hand.
1. Peel and core. Cut into quarters.
2. Turn slow cooker onto low.
3. Stir every once in a while. Let cook for 20 hours. Yes, you read right.
4. Take lid off and cook another two hours until the liquid has been reduced.
5. Add sugar to taste. I used brown sugar, but use whatever you feel like.
6. Eat or freeze.